Monday, April 02, 2007

Devt'l: MOVE

By Wendy Pope
source: Crosswalk


"Abram lived in the land of Canaan, while Lot lived among the cities
of the plain and pitched his tents near Sodom."
Genesis 13:2 (NIV)


Devotion:


As I read the story of Abram and his nephew, Lot, today's key verse
convicted me. I stumbled on the word "near". I knew the story of the
evil and debauchery that took place within the walls of this city.
There was contempt in my heart for this dreadful place and the sinful
practices of those who called this place home. I stood in judgment
against Lot for choosing to live near such a place. Through further
study of the Word and the nudging to the Holy Spirit, I realized I was
more like Lot than I wanted to be.


Lot chose the land in the Jordan Valley because of the lush green
grasses and the promise of prosperity that it offered. He knew this
land could provide in abundance for his family. Perhaps, he thought
such prosperity could bring him notoriety in the region. He knew well
the reputation of cities that lay adjacent to where he would pitch his
tents. Lot had no idea of the power of sin and the draw it can have on
those weak in the faith. He eventually moved inside and exposed his
entire family to corruption. His decision to live close to sin brought
him great heartache and led to the death of his wife.


Many times the draw of sin is so alluring that I decide to camp right
outside its boundaries. I justify staying close to the sin because I
can have advantages that I might not have otherwise. I want to watch
or flirt with temptation, never intending to partake or participate.
Then slowly, I move closer and closer until the temptation is too
much. And when my faith is too weak, I give in.


I recently met a woman who was under conviction because of a life
spent in sin in her very own Sodom and Gomorrah. The woman confessed a
20-year extra-marital affair. She asked me to pray for her and to
offer counsel. Overwhelmed by the confession and feeling unequipped to
help, I began to pray. As we prayed together, the Lord clearly
whispered to me the counsel I was to give. I was to tell this woman to
move, change her phone number, and never look back. Through my
weakness, He made me strong and gave me the courage to say the words.
Her response was no. She wanted to remain his friend. She could not
cut off all ties with this man.


Ladies, we cannot be friends with sin. We cannot flirt with sin. We
must move away from it. God has equipped you with all that you need to
make the move. Later in Genesis, Abram pleaded with God to spare Lot
and his family before destroying Sodom and Gomorrah. He was gracious.
He answered Abram's prayer and moved Lot out of city before its
destruction. Sin will bring destruction to your life. Pray and let God
help you move. Let me pray for you as Abram did for Lot.


Dear Lord, through the power of this prayer, You can help my friend
move out of sin. Your designed her life for a prosperous future full
of hope, not for sin. Won't You help her today? Enable her – and me –
to say "yes" to Your prompting and move away from sin, into Your arms
of saving grace. In Jesus' Name, Amen.


Related Resources:


He Speaks to Me: Preparing to Hear from God by Priscilla Shirer


Out of the Mouths of Babes by Wendy Pope


Do You Know Him?


Application Steps:


Be alone with God. Sit quietly or perhaps with soft music. Allow Him
to gently point out to you the areas from which you need to move. Make
the decision - trust Him to help you.


Reflections:


What is my present state of sin?


What makes it so alluring?


What is God telling me to do?


Power Verses:


Mark 14:38, " Watch and pray so that you will not fall into
temptation. The spirit is willing, but the body is weak." (NIV)


1 Corinthians 10:13,"No temptation has seized you except what is
common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted
beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also
provide a way out so that you can stand up under it." (NIV)


2 Timothy 1:7, "For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a
spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline." (NIV)

No comments: